Monday, October 14, 2013

Cabbage roll casserole

I was inspired by this recipe :) Then had to do it my way the easy way! It turned out even better than I thought it would. The hubs also loved it.

Cabbage roll casserole 100% Simply Filling without the cheese and the points would depend upon what cheese you use and how much. I used 4 oz finely shredded so it was SF+1pp

When I put it in the recipe builder it came to 7pp/serving It makes 8 big servings. The only points are from the beef, the cheese and the brown rice.

Here's how I did it:

1 lb of extra lean ground beef
2 cups of cooked brown rice (I cheat and use the one that takes 10 minutes to cook)
2 packages of shredded cabbage/coleslaw mix
Sea salt to taste
1 medium onion chopped
1 large can of pureed tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Shredded light cheese

Cook the ground beef until cooked and broken up in a large pan. Take out of the pan put in a large bowl and put the onions in to brown. When they're just about brown add the garlic and the spices. Put it in the same bowl as the beef. Add the tomato puree and about 1/2c of water to rinse the can out and add to the mix also add in the rice and stir well. Put aside.

Now wipe out the pan you cooked the beef in and if you want you can add a tsp of oil I just sprayed it with a little olive oil and add one bag of cabbage at a time (mine couldn't hold both of them) and cook and stir until it's beginning to soften about 5-8 minutes I did sprinkle mine with some sea salt. If you've just cooked one bag put the cooked one aside while you cooked the second bag.

Now spray a 9x11" pan with non stick or olive oil.

When I layered this it  looked like I was stretching out the ingredients pretty thin but look how it came out :)

Anyway... layer 1/2 the cabbage in the container followed by one half of the beef/rice mix. Repeat.

Cover (I used foil) and bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Take out and take cover off. Sprinkle cheese on top and pop back in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

Makes 8 big servings and freezes well!

1 comment:

Anne H said...

Looks relish - LOVE the recipe blog!

Corn Salad 2sp

I just made an individual amount for me so if you make more than one serving it might change the points. Corn Salad 2sp 1/2c corn which...