Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Slow cooker meatballs and marinara

Update I put this in the ww recipe builder just the sauce and the meatballs made with extra lean ground chicken, 1/4c egg substitute and no skim milk as I didn't need it. With 2 meatballs/serving and it came out to 3sp/serving. The pasta is extra.

Using light bread for the bread crumbs and the light parmesan cheese divided by the servings comes to 0sp. So it would be SF + 0sp when using whole wheat pasta

I saw the original recipe for this here: http://www.emilybites.com/2013/08/slow-cooker-meatballs-marinara.html

I only needed to tweak it just a little to be simply filling :)

I replaced the bread crumbs the first time with light bread crumbs and this time with ground oats. I also used light parmesan cheese and no extra oil. Both ways came out great. This recipe makes big meatballs!! Ralph and I both love this. It also freezes well for a quick dinner.

Slow cooker meatballs and marinara

100% Simply Filling (the amount of light parmesan cheese in the meatballs is 0pp when divided between 16) or 5pp
Pasta would be counted separately (it is Simply Filling as well)
AlsoI add 1/2 Tbsp parmesan on top and count that as 0pp

For the meatballs: Makes 20 big meatballs
1/2c light bread crumbs or  ground oatmeal (I just put it in the nutribullet)
1/4c light parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 eggs
1/4c skim milk
1 lb 95% lean ground beef

Mix all together and I just popped them in the toaster oven or you could cook in a skillet. Just till browned do not have to be cooked through.

For the sauce: I just put all this in the slow cooker and added the browned meatballs to it.
2 cloves of garlic
1 small onion chopped
28oz can of crushed tomatoes
8 oz tomato sauce (I added a little bit more as it was really thick)
6 oz tomato paste
1 tsp dried basil (could use 2 tbsp of fresh but I don't have any around)
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp of salt
sweetener a pinch
1 bay leaf

Put all in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.

Serve over whole wheat spaghetti noodles.


No comments:

Corn Salad 2sp

I just made an individual amount for me so if you make more than one serving it might change the points. Corn Salad 2sp 1/2c corn which...